With the start of the new TV season I am in the midst of “sorting” through the shows I want to watch. You know how it is – 3 or more of them come on the same night and time slot and even with a DVR with two signals and an antenna you have to pick and choose! And in February I’ll probably lose the antenna signal! So every September I grab the upcoming fall schedule from TV Guide and start to prioritize my TV shows.
Here is my list of my 13 top television shows this fall and then a few honorable mentions and the ones that drove me to boredom and got dropped from my list!
- HEROES – I even watch the webisodes. This show is kick-ASS!
- A Tie Between EUREKA and MAD MEN – Eureka is just plain cool, weird and wonderful! As for Mad Men: I love this show since I spent a few decades in the ad game. And it’s set back in the sixties so it’s Retro too – you know me, love my Retro! By the way, since I’m as old as the hills, I remember this glass ceiling-cigar smoking-b.s. ridden boy’s locker room atmosphere very well!
- LIFE – This guy intrigues me. Very Zen on the outside and Seething Retribution on the inside!
- BOSTON LEGAL – I cannot get enough of these brilliant but seriously twisted lawyers. I thought I heard this was the last season? Oh no, say it ain’t so!
- THE MENTALIST – This is kind of the same guy as on LIFE but without the Zen shell. This guy also has some great hair!
- THE BIG BANG THEORY – Can’t get enough of these MENSA soaked geeks and their nerd humor – My favorite nerd is Sheldon (Jim Parsons). I wish they’d dump the “hot girl neighbor” (Kaley Cuoko as Penny) and move Leslie Winkle (Sarah Gilbert) in as a permanent cast member!
- MONK – Still love the “Defective Detective” – Go Tony Shaloub!
- PSYCH – Shawn Spencer (James Roday) is a fake “Psychic Detective” and has an uptight, lifelong friend, Burton “Gus” Gustor, as his side kick. They have flashbacks to when both were kids (Fun!) and even Cartoon Flashbacks! I love Gus (Dule Hill, last seen on West Wing).
- UGLY BETTY – I’m going to start an “I love Ugly Betty” Fan Club, membership – 1.
- DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES – I call this Desperate Fishwives and this is my fav soap opera on TV. I also love seeing all the women over the age of teenybopper showing up on TV lately as Sex Symbols (see Boston Legal -Candace Bergen, Brothers and Sisters -Sally Field, etc)!
- BROTHER AND SISTERS – Well, Sally Field is a Grandma here! And this show should make all “only children” thankful!
- BONES – I love “Bones” (Dr. Temperance “Bones” Brennan. Emily Deschanel) because she’s so “un-girly”! And David Boreanaz as Agent Booth is just too cute trying to deal with her.
- SONS OF ANARCHY – Who would have thought that someday there would be a TV show about Hell’s Angels wannabees???? Check it out, but watch for adult language and nudity and all the stuff that makes this interesting.
HONORABLE MENTIONS: Hell’s Kitchen (love my kitchen drama), Samantha Who (amnesia is funny!), Dirty Sexy $ (gotta love melodrama about rich pain-in-the-asses), Criminal Minds (still good but I miss Mandy).
SHOWS THAT FINALLY BORED ME TO DEATH: LOST – (so over it – except for Hurley – love Hurley! Make a series just about him! (Jorge Garcia plays Hugo “Hurley” Reyes)
ER – Finally the last season. Who cared after George Clooney?
ALL THE CSIs – I loved the original CSI in the beginning but it lost me last year. CSI-NY – I love Gary Sinise but hate his wooden character “Mac”. CSI-Miami – David Caruso – ick.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
Get my Retro Inspired Pop Culture Art on Cool Stuff like Cups, Tees, Cards, Aprons and more at the POP ART DIVA BOUTIQUE!
Just in time for summer reruns we are getting a few, paltry new episodes of a few shows. I kind of wish they hadn’t bothered – the whole schedule’s such a mess.
But, Hell’s Kitchen is back!!!!! I just relish the screaming tirades of Chef Ramsey! I haven’t watched tonight’s episode yet – I’m saving it for my treat after I get through posting on all my blogs and catching up on mail.
I just have to decide which ice cream goes good with the premiere of Season Four of Hell’s Kitcken. . . . .
Well, I just saw an ad stating that Medium will be returning as a mid-season replacement on January 7th! There’s life for the dead people who haunt Allison after all! Do you suppose someone saw this blog? HA, HA, HA, HA, HA. Would that I had that kind of sway with network execs, lol.
By the way, Patricia Arquette was nominated for a Golden Globe for her portrayal of Allison – I see dead people at the awards!
Filed under television, tv
I’ve been so busy lately that posting about television or movies has been set on a back burner. What spare time I have left over after doing my Martini Blog, my Art Blog and doing new art for my website is spent actually watching tv! I haven’t even had time to see a movie – but managed to see the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie on DVD, which, btw, was a little confusing story wise but I enjoyed it anyway. Captain Jack is a classic character and destined to remain in my top five of all time along with Rhett Butler, Scarlet O’Hara, Forrest Gump and Indiana Jones.
While trying to keep abreast of the schedule changes that always occur at this time of year (because the 12 year old network executives ax good shows before they have a chance to gather an audience), I suddenly noticed that Medium was missing! What a shame, I liked that show. I wonder if it will be a mid-season replacement? Oh well, the ratings rule and I simply don’t have time to google whether or not it was cancelled.
An update on my thoughts about the new season :
- I still love Reaper – if anything I like it more. This is a fun, quirky show and my favorite character is Sock (Wysocki) and the Devil Himself follows closely behind.
- I still enjoy Bones, Criminal Minds, NCIS, Desperate Housewives, Boston Legal, Brothers and Sisters, Grey’s Anatomy, Numbers, Monk, Psych, Las Vegas (now that Tom Selleck has joined the cast) and Hell’s Kitchen
- I still like the new shows, Cane, Dirty Sexy Money, Journeyman and K-ville
- I’m growing fonder of Pushing Daisies
- I love Saving Grace. Love it! I want my own Earl!
- Life is turning out to be a favorite of mine
- I am looking forward to the celebrity edition of The Apprentice – this show is my guilty pleasure
- I am also looking forward to the return of Eureka – probably my second favorite show
- Heros is still my number one – and Hiro is still my favorite Hero
What’s out of my television viewing schedule? Back to You, ER, Survivor, Lost, and a few others that bored me or got too convoluted to enjoy. Too bad, so sad, but don’t waste my tv viewing time!
I’ll try to get in to post a little more often so keep subscribing and let me know what you think about my comments and what shows you like and why!
They keep taking off the television shows I like! What happened to Jeff Goldblum’s Raines? Is Lost lost? I’m happy to see Desperate Fishwives – sorry, but that’s what I call it, and Grey’s Anatomy, Bones, House, Ghost Whisperer, and Criminal Minds. I actually watch Boston Legal and Numbers live, no Tivo for those. Can’t wait for the next round of Hell’s Kitchen – Gordon Ramsey is such a pill – hard to swallow in big doses, but I’m addicted. I’m not as fond of Kitchen Nightmares – could you please censor the bug infested scenes?!!!!! Ugh.
I love REAPER! That show is funny as hell – oh, pardon the pun! Love the guy who plays the devil – he’s obviously enjoying his role. Love Tom Selleck on Las Vegas – nice to see him back on TV. I was looking forward to Pushing Daisies, but frankly I was a little bored and hope it gets better. Dirty Sexy Money is going to be interesting – if only for the actors they managed to get. Private Practice is a nice hour of extra Grey’s Anatomy soap bubbles. Now, Life is going to be interesting – and they’ll probably cancel it because it’s not peppered with action. I’m disappointed in Back To You – Kelsey Grammar is better than the show. I’ll watch Cane because of Jimmy Smits.
I just hope they don’t come up with anymore third-rate reality shows or sex and the pimple faced teenybopper programs, yeeesh. Brats with money AND hormones what a boring combination.
I’m beginning to understand why my parents watched ancient reruns. They grew older and television doesn’t cater to older, so they went back to the familiar faces they grew up with. I’m not yet watching reruns of Fraiser or Friends, but I can see the writing on the wall.
BTW – my favorite show on the schedule – HEROS! I love Heros! And Hiro is my favorite Hero!