With the start of the new TV season I am in the midst of “sorting” through the shows I want to watch. You know how it is – 3 or more of them come on the same night and time slot and even with a DVR with two signals and an antenna you have to pick and choose! And in February I’ll probably lose the antenna signal! So every September I grab the upcoming fall schedule from TV Guide and start to prioritize my TV shows.
Here is my list of my 13 top television shows this fall and then a few honorable mentions and the ones that drove me to boredom and got dropped from my list!
- HEROES – I even watch the webisodes. This show is kick-ASS!
- A Tie Between EUREKA and MAD MEN – Eureka is just plain cool, weird and wonderful! As for Mad Men: I love this show since I spent a few decades in the ad game. And it’s set back in the sixties so it’s Retro too – you know me, love my Retro! By the way, since I’m as old as the hills, I remember this glass ceiling-cigar smoking-b.s. ridden boy’s locker room atmosphere very well!
- LIFE – This guy intrigues me. Very Zen on the outside and Seething Retribution on the inside!
- BOSTON LEGAL – I cannot get enough of these brilliant but seriously twisted lawyers. I thought I heard this was the last season? Oh no, say it ain’t so!
- THE MENTALIST – This is kind of the same guy as on LIFE but without the Zen shell. This guy also has some great hair!
- THE BIG BANG THEORY – Can’t get enough of these MENSA soaked geeks and their nerd humor – My favorite nerd is Sheldon (Jim Parsons). I wish they’d dump the “hot girl neighbor” (Kaley Cuoko as Penny) and move Leslie Winkle (Sarah Gilbert) in as a permanent cast member!
- MONK – Still love the “Defective Detective” – Go Tony Shaloub!
- PSYCH – Shawn Spencer (James Roday) is a fake “Psychic Detective” and has an uptight, lifelong friend, Burton “Gus” Gustor, as his side kick. They have flashbacks to when both were kids (Fun!) and even Cartoon Flashbacks! I love Gus (Dule Hill, last seen on West Wing).
- UGLY BETTY – I’m going to start an “I love Ugly Betty” Fan Club, membership – 1.
- DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES – I call this Desperate Fishwives and this is my fav soap opera on TV. I also love seeing all the women over the age of teenybopper showing up on TV lately as Sex Symbols (see Boston Legal -Candace Bergen, Brothers and Sisters -Sally Field, etc)!
- BROTHER AND SISTERS – Well, Sally Field is a Grandma here! And this show should make all “only children” thankful!
- BONES – I love “Bones” (Dr. Temperance “Bones” Brennan. Emily Deschanel) because she’s so “un-girly”! And David Boreanaz as Agent Booth is just too cute trying to deal with her.
- SONS OF ANARCHY – Who would have thought that someday there would be a TV show about Hell’s Angels wannabees???? Check it out, but watch for adult language and nudity and all the stuff that makes this interesting.
HONORABLE MENTIONS: Hell’s Kitchen (love my kitchen drama), Samantha Who (amnesia is funny!), Dirty Sexy $ (gotta love melodrama about rich pain-in-the-asses), Criminal Minds (still good but I miss Mandy).
SHOWS THAT FINALLY BORED ME TO DEATH: LOST – (so over it – except for Hurley – love Hurley! Make a series just about him! (Jorge Garcia plays Hugo “Hurley” Reyes)
ER – Finally the last season. Who cared after George Clooney?
ALL THE CSIs – I loved the original CSI in the beginning but it lost me last year. CSI-NY – I love Gary Sinise but hate his wooden character “Mac”. CSI-Miami – David Caruso – ick.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
Get my Retro Inspired Pop Culture Art on Cool Stuff like Cups, Tees, Cards, Aprons and more at the POP ART DIVA BOUTIQUE!
Just in time for summer reruns we are getting a few, paltry new episodes of a few shows. I kind of wish they hadn’t bothered – the whole schedule’s such a mess.
But, Hell’s Kitchen is back!!!!! I just relish the screaming tirades of Chef Ramsey! I haven’t watched tonight’s episode yet – I’m saving it for my treat after I get through posting on all my blogs and catching up on mail.
I just have to decide which ice cream goes good with the premiere of Season Four of Hell’s Kitcken. . . . .
I noticed that today was Holly Hunter’s birthday and it reminded me to get my behind back in here to write something. I’ve been so busy with my other blogs that I neglected this one. Most likely because the writer’s strike just killed television this season so there wasn’t a lot of fodder. But I have been working longer and watching less of my beloved Boob Tube!
Anyway, back to Holly Hunter. I love this actress – I’ve watched most of her movies and now I am enthralled with her new show on TNT, “Amazing Grace”. Is this a great concept for a show or what? You gotta love the person who came up with this idea.
An ex-catholic, agnostic (or is she?) gung-ho female cop on the edge who gets her very own angel for a friend. Earl. You have got to just adore Earl! Any angel who loves tacos and has a tattoo of a long-tongued dog on his back is my kind of angel.
This is really a great show, not just a good show, a great show. I’m hoping for a nice long run and I’m looking forward to new episodes! Plus you can watch it on your computer if you miss any episodes! I just love watching TV on my laptop for some reason. Probably because if I miss something I haven’t really missed it – just delayed it, cool.
Which reminds me – I have 3 episodes of Lost to catch up on so I’m outta here!
P.S. Stop by Life is Like Art to see my newest creations of digital art, original paintings and sculptures. Visit my newest blog, The BRAT in the HAT to read about my latest pet peeves, and stop by my Pop Culture Blog for a nostalgic trip down Memory Lane. Oh, and get my latest designer martini recipes at The Martini Diva and appetizers to go with them at The Diva of Tiny Foods! I’m a bloggin’ fool!
Well, I just saw an ad stating that Medium will be returning as a mid-season replacement on January 7th! There’s life for the dead people who haunt Allison after all! Do you suppose someone saw this blog? HA, HA, HA, HA, HA. Would that I had that kind of sway with network execs, lol.
By the way, Patricia Arquette was nominated for a Golden Globe for her portrayal of Allison – I see dead people at the awards!
Filed under television, tv
Okay, here’s a nice little “hooray for television of today” – Almost all the networks post FULL EPISODES of some of their shows on their websites to watch on your computer! I’m sure many of you know that but I only got hi-speed a few months ago and it was a lovely little surprise for me!
If I miss a show I can now just log in and watch it online! Wow! Talk about Mod-Cons! This is quite a change from the old days of my youth when we only had 3 networks, they were all black and white and we had to attach the rabbit ears to our kid brother or sister and make them sit on top of a bookshelf to get good reception!
Remember when they were starting “cable” tv – you know “paid” television. I couldn’t believe anyone would pay for TV! Now we have thousands of channels – most of which are crap, but still we have thousands of channels!
Remember when the very first VCRs came out? Beta vs. VHS? And now we have DVD recorders and TIVO – we can record all those thousands of hours of crap!
Remember when the whole family would schedule their evenings around a favorite TV show, like the Honeymooners, The Ed Sullivan Show or Gunsmoke? Now we just hit a button and the show is downloaded onto a hard drive to watch at our convenience. Sort of puts the kybosh on family tv time, doesn’t it?
Well, time marches on and progress progresses – is it for the best? Who knows. But I do love watching Desperate Fishwives at 2 a.m. though I miss fighting over the bowl of popcorn with my siblings.
They keep taking off the television shows I like! What happened to Jeff Goldblum’s Raines? Is Lost lost? I’m happy to see Desperate Fishwives – sorry, but that’s what I call it, and Grey’s Anatomy, Bones, House, Ghost Whisperer, and Criminal Minds. I actually watch Boston Legal and Numbers live, no Tivo for those. Can’t wait for the next round of Hell’s Kitchen – Gordon Ramsey is such a pill – hard to swallow in big doses, but I’m addicted. I’m not as fond of Kitchen Nightmares – could you please censor the bug infested scenes?!!!!! Ugh.
I love REAPER! That show is funny as hell – oh, pardon the pun! Love the guy who plays the devil – he’s obviously enjoying his role. Love Tom Selleck on Las Vegas – nice to see him back on TV. I was looking forward to Pushing Daisies, but frankly I was a little bored and hope it gets better. Dirty Sexy Money is going to be interesting – if only for the actors they managed to get. Private Practice is a nice hour of extra Grey’s Anatomy soap bubbles. Now, Life is going to be interesting – and they’ll probably cancel it because it’s not peppered with action. I’m disappointed in Back To You – Kelsey Grammar is better than the show. I’ll watch Cane because of Jimmy Smits.
I just hope they don’t come up with anymore third-rate reality shows or sex and the pimple faced teenybopper programs, yeeesh. Brats with money AND hormones what a boring combination.
I’m beginning to understand why my parents watched ancient reruns. They grew older and television doesn’t cater to older, so they went back to the familiar faces they grew up with. I’m not yet watching reruns of Fraiser or Friends, but I can see the writing on the wall.
BTW – my favorite show on the schedule – HEROS! I love Heros! And Hiro is my favorite Hero!